1. What is the Alliance of Genome Resources?
A consortium of 6 MODs and the GO Consortium whose goal is to provide an integrated view of their data to all biologists, clinicians and other interested parties.
2. Who are the founding consortium members?
- Gene Ontology Consortium
- Mouse Genome Database
- Saccharomyces Genome Database
- Rat Genome Database
- Zebrafish Information Network
3. Why was the Alliance formed?
The alliance was formed to capitalize on and share the strengths developed at each of the Alliance groups with the goal of streamlining and standardizing the work of expert curation and to provide a web-based resource where data from all Alliance groups is integrated and searchable in a single place.
4. What are the benefits of the Alliance?
Cross-species data analysis is a key to maximizing the impact of research output in translational research. Currently it is time consuming to gather data from multiple web sites to accomplish this. The Alliance aims to address that challenge by providing:
- A common user interface
- A single web interface through which users will be able to search and view data from all the MODs on a single web site
- Content will include data such as gene names and families, orthology, ontology terms, phenotypes, and animal models of human diseases
- Although the data may come from different sources, the UI will be as consistent as possible
- A common orthology set for assertions of orthology, particularly in relationship of genes to human diseases
- A central office for consortium communications, user support, training and outreach and also an Alliance Scientific Advisory Board
5. How will the data change in the MODs I use now?
Access to the same data, tools and community support that exists today in each MOD will continue to be provided, whether directly through the MOD or through the common Alliance web site.
6. When will the new Alliance web site be operational?
The goal is for the new site, with initial functionality, to be available in the summer of 2017. More complete centralization of functionality will occur gradually over the coming years.
7. Will others be joining the Alliance?
It is anticipated that other MODs and related resources will join the Alliance in the future, although no plans have yet been made.
8. How can my group join the Alliance?
Please contact the Alliance Help Desk and one of the AGR Steering Committee members will get back to you: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. How can I follow the Alliance on social media?